Part two of the series explores the next step in the creation of the flawless face. If you have followed the steps in the first part of the series then you are now ready to break out the concealer and foundation. You will notice how much better your foundation goes on your skin once you have prepped and primed the skin.
You want to start by finding the right type of foundation for your needs. “The foundation choices available to consumers can be overwhelming, says Roniesha Taylor, a makeup artist who works in a major department store and sees many types of faces on an daily basis. “It’s important to find the texture and type of foundation that suits you and your needs”,
The list of options is pretty long but some of the most popular are powders, thick creams, tinted moisturizers, crèmes, liquid and minerals.
The following is a brief description of each type.
1. Concealer: No foundation discussion can be complete without a mention of the magic stuff called concealer. It is a thickened, even tinted product that works to correct color, disguise problem areas and imperfections. Usually comes in a compact or a concealer stick. Many makeup professionals suggest applying a concealer before you apply foundation for perfect coverage.
Suggested Product: Bye-Bye Undereye ($24, itcosmetics.com) A full coverage highly pigmented anti-aging concealer that blows other concealers out of the water. Its truly innovative formula contains high concentrations of Vitamins K, A, C, E and Collagen- clinically proven to reduce under eye puffiness and discoloration while strengthening the delicate sin of the under eye area. Its like magic. There really isn’t anything like it on the market.
2. Tinted Moisturizer: Is a perfect way to even out your skin without wearing a lot of heavy makeup. Tinted moisturizer is a great way to soften and protect the skin while giving your skin a lit bit of color. With this product you don’t have to a moisturizer beforehand just apply and your ready to go. Another plus is many tinted moisturizers contain SPF. So it’s a good way to sneak in some sun protection.
Suggested Product: FACE Stockholm Tinted Mineral Moisturizer ($42, facestockholm.com) This SPF 20, oil and fragrance free tinted moisturizer works to shield, hydrate and nourish skin. It is amplified with a Multi Mineral Complex, including Copper, Gold and Sodium as well as a precious collection of rich antioxidants, Ginkgo Biloba, Ginseng and Vitamins A, C and E that leave skin luminous and healthy. The light diffusing formula helps to minimize the appearance of fine lines and creates a natural sun-kissed glow.
3. Liquid Foundation: Liquid Foundation is popular because it goes on easy and is available everywhere. So it’s easy to get your hands on a bottle. Liquid foundation goes on smoothly, blends fairly well and can go over your concealer without looking to heavy. Liquid makeup is a good way to have a light finish if you don’t want to feel like you are wearing a mask.
Suggested Product: Prescriptives All Skins 16-Hour Wear/SPF 10 Liquid Mineral Foundation ($32.50, prescriptives.com) This long-wearing liquid foundation is a foundation that is actually good for your skin! Its an oil-free foundation that lasts up to 16 hours, protects your skin from the sun with non-chemical UVA/UVB sunscreen an is made out of minerals. It gives skin a wonderful luminosity and its lightweight enough to let the skin breath.
4. Crème Foundation: Cream foundations are great for people who have dry to extra dry skin. It is easy to use and to blend into skin. Is available in pots and sticks and is usually super creamy. You can build coverage and it provides a greater level of coverage than liquid foundation. So its good if you have uneven skin tone or discoloration on your face. Cream foundation can be applied with fingers or a sponge. Also can be used to apply long lasting coverage.
Suggested Product: FACE Stockholm Picture Perfect Foundation ($48, facestockholm.com) If your looking for a picture perfect finish then this crème formula is the one for you. It provides perfect and precise coverage, camouflaging all surface imperfections and accentuating the contours of the face for a flawless finish. This lightweight, high pigment crème formula blends easily for great coverage in just seconds. You will be left with a smooth and flawless look. Perfect!
5. Powder Foundation: Powder foundations is a great way to get a range of coverage. You can go sheer to medium depending on the method of application. Probably the easiest to apply. Another version of powder foundation is cream-to-powder foundation or gel-to-powder. This type goes on as a cream or gel then dries to a powder finish that minimizes oil and lasts all day. This is just like the traditional powder because its super easy and gives really good coverage.
Suggested Product: Beauty Addicts Face2FACE ($45, beautyaddicts.com) Face2FACE gel-to-powder instantly transforms your skin. It provides lightweight coverage that is buildable from sheer to medium coverage. This powder is great for skin. It effectively delivers a revolutionary blend of potent anti-oxidants including Green Tea, Vitamin A and E and Dermaxyl- proven to stimulate collagen production. Your skin is left looking smooth, radiant and absolutely flawless.
6. Mineral Foundation: Minerals are super hot in makeup right now because people are more concerned with what they put on their skin especially their face. Minerals is a perfect way to get the best of foundation has to over without having to have the worst (chemicals, synthetic ingredients). Because mineral makeup is natural its perfect for people with allergies or sensitive skin. Brush on minerals with a big, puffy brush, building up layers of nearly invisible powder. Great for creating a soft flawless appearance.
Suggested Product: M·A·C Mineralize SPF 15 Foundation ($29, nordstrom.com) This lightweight loose powder foundation uses the power of minerals to provide the skin with color and a radiant, natural finish. It brushes on the skin smoothly and gives sophisticated, medium-buildable coverage. Special mineral complex helps keep skin healthy and nourished while the blend of moisturizers and conditioners in the formula help create a flawless application. Beautiful and healthy for the skin.
Once you find the perfect type of foundation for your skin, it’s time to select the right color. Make sure you select a few colors that seem close to your natural skin tone and apply the product to your jaw line. Foundation looks best in the natural light so go outside and look in a hand mirror. The shade that blends seamlessly into your skin is the shade you want to get. If you are unable to test the product in the store then find out their return policy and take the product you think is closest to the color on your jaw line. If it doesn’t match, then take the product back for another shade. Foundation is important enough to put as much time and energy as you need to in order to find the best type and shade for your skin.