Fall is here and in most parts of the country, the weather is getting cooler and the sweaters are on their way to the front of the closet. Time to get those autumn recipes out! Even if you aren’t a girl or guy about the kitchen, you should have a few good, simple treats up your sleeve for when you have company come through. These are two of my favorite, easiest and yummiest little fall apple goodies. Consider making one or both next time you invite a honey dip over to warm up!
Baked Apple Crisp
- 6 large apples (I prefer Gala, but if you want a more tart taste, go with Granny Smith), sliced or chopped
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup agave nectar, Splenda/Stevia or brown sugar (brown sugar tastes best, agave is better for you and sugar substitute saves calories)
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- dash each of cinnamon and nutmeg
- 1/2 tablespoon cloves (optional)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat or all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup old-fashioned oats (‘quick cook’ works as well, but the regular kind is best)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar or Splenda/Stevia
- 1 stick of butter, softened (not melted)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Optional: 1/2 cup raisins
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix filling ingredients and pour into a large pan that has been prepped with non-stick spray. Combine topping ingredients aside from butter with a whisk and then mix butter in until crumbly. Sprinkle atop the apple mixture and bake for 40 minutes or until apples are soft and topping is crispy.
Boozy Apple Cider
- 2 quarts of apple cider (or juice, in a pinch)
- 1 cup of dark rum or brandy
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
So easy, you can make it after you’re already tipsy! Bring all ingredients to a simmer in a large pot. Enjoy responsibly!