In the wake of the Trayvon Martin case every news outlet has been delving into “the talk” that many Black parents have with their children. This talk is supposed to prepare African American children for the racism that they may encounter growing up. National Review’s John Derbyshire says there is a talk that non-black Americans have with their children about race too. Derbyshire wrote about this in his post The Talk: Non-Black Version where he describes the racist views that he has instilled in his own children. The outrageous content of his blog has many calling for him to be fired.
Here are 9 points he shares that every White parent should tell their children:
- Avoid concentrations of blacks not all known to you personally.
- Stay out of heavily black neighborhoods.
- If planning a trip to a beach or amusement park at some date, find out whether it is likely to be swamped with blacks on that date (neglect of that one got me the closest I have ever gotten to death by gunshot).
- Do not attend events likely to draw a lot of blacks.
- If you are at some public event at which the number of blacks suddenly swells, leave as quickly as possible.
- Do not settle in a district or municipality run by black politicians.
- Before voting for a black politician, scrutinize his/her character much more carefully than you would a white.
- Do not act the Good Samaritan to blacks in apparent distress, e.g., on the highway.
- If accosted by a strange black in the street, smile and say something polite but keep moving.
He also adds,
“A small cohort of blacks — in my experience, around five percent — is ferociously hostile to whites and will go to great lengths to inconvenience or harm us. A much larger cohort of blacks — around half — will go along passively if the five percent take leadership in some event.”
It is beyond sickening that there are non-Black parents who may actually tell these things to their children and think they are protecting them. Let’s hope that there are more parents, regardless of race, who disagree with what Derbyshire has to say than support it.