An Australian court recently ordered KFC to fork over $8.35 million to the family of a young girl who suffered brain damage after eating a chicken wrap.

ABC News reports that in 2005, then-7-year-old Monika Samaan and her family contracted salmonella poisoning after sharing a chicken wrap they bought at a local Sydney KFC. Monika’s parents and brother suffered vomiting and other flu-like symptoms but made a full recovery. However, the young girl slipped into a coma for several months and now suffers from long-term brain damage.

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

Sally Glover, KFC’s Australian Chief of Corporate Affairs Officer, released a statement vowing to appeal the case:

“This is clearly a very tragic case but we are deeply disappointed and surprised by the judge’s decision. We feel deeply for Monika and the Samaan family; however we also have a responsibility to defend KFC’s reputation as a provider of safe, high-quality food.”

Along with suffering from brain damage, Monika is also confined to a wheelchair. The family’s attorney said the award will help them take care of her ever-increasing needs.

Although Monika’s case extreme, do incidents like these make you leery of eating fast food? 

  • Dreaming

    Not really.

  • dvine

    i don’t care for KFC chicken.. it’s not cooked thorough enough for me.. it’s wet, soft and pink in the middle.. one time i saw it was pink and i was done.. never went back..

  • MsQuita

    WOW.

  • Whatever

    I do not eat fast food.. it is not real food.

Read previous post:
Close