Detergent pods are the new rave in laundry products. They’re small, convenient and colorful. Detergent pods are now also the new rave amongst toddlers. No, toddlers have not learned how to do laundry. They’ve discovered that laundry pods are colorful and pretty, therefore should be eaten.

According to the American Association of Poison Control Centers (AAAPC), there have now been 2,950 cases of children aged 5 and under swallowing laundry pods. That’s nearly 13 cases a day that are being reported nationwide. “Because they are colorful and squishy, they are attractive to children,” warns the American Association of Poison Control Centers. “They can look like candy or something fun to play with.” U.S. poison hotlines have received 2,950 calls concerning exposures to children with 734 calls in August alone, thankfully no deaths have been reported

Not to be Ms. Obvious, but why aren’t parents keeping toxic substances out of the reach of children? Swallowing these detergent pods can cause excessive vomiting, wheezing and gasping, more often leading to hospitalization. Because laundry pods look like candy and have a squishy texture, I can see how children would think they’re edible. Most toddlers think anything that can fit in their mouths are edible.

Although most reports surfacing have referenced children. I would also hope that pet owners are keeping the pods away from pets as well. Once again, I don’t know why these products aren’t stored properly. It’s not that hard to place something up high so kids can’t reach them. In the event that a child has popped a pod in their mouth, AAAPC urges the parents to call Poison Control.



style="display:inline-block;width:300px;height:250px"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-4490002161143424"
data-ad-slot="4723772403">

6
SHARES
  • Just a few thoughts

    We should also be concerned that if these pods are toxic in large doses if taken internally, what are the toxic implications if absorbed into our skin in small doses repetitively. Should people even be using this or products like these constantly on clothes or items that we wear, sleep in/on (bed sheets). No wonder our society is being inundated with high numbers of allergies…It’s not just what we put INTO our bodies but what we put ONTO our bodies as well. We must remember that our skin is our largest organ and we must keep that as pure as we possiblly can.

  • Fit_MissC

    Exactly! When I heard this report my first thought was: “Who are these parents that are letting their kids in the laundry room unattended?” This problem shouldn’t be a problem and I’m surprised the Government is calling on the manufacturers to change their containers. I understand child resistant caps for medication, but laundry detergent? Be smarter and child-proof your home people.

  • Mademoiselle

    I agree with Just a Few Thoughts

    I tried Tide pods twice, and broke out in horrible burning hives whenever I wore the freshly washed clothes or slept in the freshly washed sheets that they were used on. Googled it, and realized others have been through the same thing.

    In response to the “why aren’t parents keeping these under lock and key” sentiments, I’ll say, an “odor” is added to gasoline so adults can tell when there’s a leak rather than blaming adults for not noticing a puddle. In the same vain, I would think the onus is on the manufacturer to consider that their products are going to places where active toddlers can and will get into things that parents may miss in their zeal to protect them. There’s no practical reason the pods need to be so colorful other than to draw attention, so why not make them look less playful and put them in containers that are more difficult for a toddler’s fingers to open?

More in children
Close