Clutch magazine wise words

“Man is free at the moment he wishes to be.” – Voltaire

It seems like an odd question, considering the fact that we live in society built on freedoms: freedom of speech and freedom to live how we choose. But more often than not, many of us are not free.

If we were—not only would we not care what other people think or say about us—but we’d also be pursuing the lives we really want to live.

Whether your passion is for travel, working with others, being steeped in academia, or being your own boss, too often we get trapped in our lives based on necessity or obligation, and not because they are actually what we want.

I won’t pretend freedom is easy; it’s extremely hard. When you buck the norm and step outside of what most people expect you to do there will be push-back. Folks won’t understand what you’re doing, why you want to go against the grain, or why you’d want to live an extraordinary life (especially when theirs is fairly ho-hum).

Although the road to freedom may be tough, the reward is so worth it.

While I’d like for my family and friends to support my choice to live an awesome life, I realize that if they don’t “get it,” they may not be able to get on board right away.

But will I let it stop me? Certainly not, and you shouldn’t either.

Go forth and live awesomely, Clutchettes.

Happy Monday! 

12
SHARES

3 Comments

  1. Excellent article. I recently decided to make some changes in my life and I haven’t felt more free. As I get older, I now realize that the people who love me will accept it. Those who don’t get me, don’t have to.

    0
  2. Comment

    Great advice. Been going against the grain for over 10 years and while it hasn’t brought me wild financial success I can honestly say that I have really experienced life on my own terms. I feel 99% free it would be 100 if not for financial challenges. But I control my destiny. My family has never really been supportive of my journey but I know now that that is ok. The only opinion that really matters is mine and God’s. Pushing forward and praying for enlightenment every day.

    0
  3. Rocambolesque

    Nice post! I don’t think I am really free as 99% of the time I act like I don’t want to portray any black stereotype. Sometimes I want to loosen myself but leaving in a predominantly white society where anything a black woman do is negatively portrayed makes me act like a perfect freak but I know it is slowly erasing a part of me. I had to act this way at school and now at work: 99% of my daily activities. The remaining 1% is for your family, friends and hobbies. I guess I am just playing a game like Oprah loooool

    0
Comments are moderated, please be respectful. View our policy.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

More in wise words
Close