The parents of a teen who was shot and killed by police earlier this year are expected to file a notice of claim Wednesday, informing the city that they intend to file a wrongful-death lawsuit that alleges cops used excessive force in the shooting that killed their son, The Daily News reports.
Family lawyer Kenneth Montgomery says he can prove that police officers left 16-year-old Kimani Gray to die in East Flatbush on March 9.
Gray was left on the pavement and received no medical attention for 15 minutes, Montgomery told The News.
“We have a videotape that shows all these police personnel who pretty much militarized the block,” he said. “And this young man is on the pavement, perceived not to be getting any medical attention for up to 15 minutes.”
Two plain-clothes police officers shot Gray after the teen pointed a .38 caliber handgun at them, according to police. He was hit by seven bullets. Gray’s death set off a series of riots and protests in the neighborhood in the days following the shooting.
Police officials, who have said Gray pointed a loaded .38-caliber handgun at cops, referred questions to the city’s Law Department. The Law Department declined comment, because it hadn’t seen the notice of claim.
At least two witnesses heard cops warn the teen not to move, but a neighbor disputed that. Gray was hit by seven bullets — three of them in the back.