Erica-Campbell

Erica Campbell recently came under attack after posting recent photos from her upcoming album’s photo-shoot, which is due out March 2014.  The form-fitting dress caught the attention of a pastor, who didn’t approve of her attire.

“THIS IS NOT OKAY. Yes, you are a beautiful, curvy woman…but NO MA’AM YOU ARE SINGING THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST. Saints…smh COME ON.”

The pastor, who is also a woman, defended her comments on American Preacher, with the lengthy response below

#1 The intent of my posting was not to attack Erica at all. I do not know Erica, have never met her, and NEVER passed judgment or even commented about her salvation, her relationship with God, her vocal contributions to the Gospel Music Industry, or her personal character. Yet, this article started off quoting MY comment as an attack. I expressed my concerns on my fb page that started out as a casual “lighthearted” discussion, but later exploded into comments that were so disrespectful they had to be removed. It’s interesting that the same Christians that will defend a dress, WILL CURSE OUT A PREACHER who expressed concern. We had a discussion that included over 300+ comments by those that both agreed and disagreed and most of those comments remain. #2 The article did not mention the gender of “the preacher” and most of the readers here assumed that it was a man, therefore, assumptions were made that it was a dogmatic, legalistic, lust-filled MAN who could not control his own sinful desires and therefore found criticism in Erica. Although it makes for “juicy discussion” it’s not the truth. The truth is, I am a woman, single, very content in my own plus sized figure. I do not desire or lust for this woman or ANY women, as I am a woman of God who is waiting on my mate, THE MAN OF GOD. #3 The comments here have blamed THIS as “why they don’t attend church, what’s wrong with the church, why they hate church folks…etc. when SURELY there are “deeper issues.”So, if (IF) understanding is desired, here is my take.My intent was this:
1. I want women of God to represent the KINGDOM without feeling as though they must become a sex symbol. THE WORLD sells sex, THE KINGDOM SHOULD PROMOTE JESUS.
2. Gospel music is MINISTRY, not just an art form or a genre of music.
3. We compel men to come through our love for Jesus, but when we wear things that are distracting, the message is somehow lost and it becomes abut US and not about Him.
4. I’ve seen TOO MANY…TOO MANY people dress inappropriately in ministry and THIS was only ONE example.While what I stated was seen as an attack, nobody saw the numerous videos that have been released to promote healthy self-esteem, beauty tips, fashion tips, or even the women’s conferences that did REAL outreach…providing clothing, shoes, and most importantly, JESUS.If a leader can not say that certain behaviors in the church are inappropriate, WHO CAN? Are we all suppose to close our eyes as gospel artist with revealing outfits sing about Jesus but bounce all over the stage in ways that can only be compared to the club? Are we just supposed to hush up about it and pray? Why not say to little girls that want to grow up to be JUST LIKE THEM, there is a better way to represent ourselves as women of God, and that was simply a bad wardrobe choice?

Let it be known, I am NOT jealous, envious, or lustful. I am a woman of God, curvy too, that will say that I desire to see us represent Jesus in a way that exudes HOLINESS and not sexiness. It was wrong when OTHERS did it too, and now its spreading through the industry as THE NEW STANDARD. OF COURSE there are greater issues to discuss, and greater ministry to engage in, but let’s stay on this one for a moment since we all took a glance at the picture and the article and shared our thoughts. Then, let’s continue/start doing the work of the church.

I would pray that my words would not be seen as an ATTACK, gossip, pettiness, or even judgment from someone who has nothing better to do but to criticize clothing choices, but as a plea with the Body of Christ, a body that seems to be slipping further and further away from HOLINESS and into worldliness. Everything we do is to now attract the world, when all we had to do was LIFT UP JESUS. However hear my plea, let’s PUT GOD BACK IN GOSPEL, AND HOLINESS BACK INTO THE CHURCH. It’s time to take a stand. GOD…AND ONLY GOD can see the heart, but let’s also focus on what is seen on the OUTSIDE and work on that too, while God is working on the heart.

Reply · 28 · Like · Follow Post · Edited · 11 hours ago
  • Timothy M. Starkey · Beckley, West Virginia

Congrats for making the news Apostle, LOLOL
    Reply · 2 · Like · 11 hours ago
  • Apostle Stacey Woods · Follow · Founder at Impact Outreach Ministries, INC. · 2,817 subscribers

Timothy M. Starkey…smh.
    Reply · Like · 11 hours ago
  • Chataira Griffin

Thank you for taking a stand and not letting anything fly.. right is right wrong is wrong.
    Reply · 5 · Like · 11 hours ago
  • Prophet-Jerry Brunner · Follow · Consultant at Organo Gold · 230 subscribers

Apostle Stacey Woods. When we {stop} speaking clearly of holiness, we have sided with Satan! I’m not totally aware of the issue, yet, I stand with the wisdom of looking good, not promoting deception and lust either Female or Male. And I am thankful you are speaking against lascivious & deceptive practices. Amen
    Reply · 7 · Like · 11 hours ago
  • Evangelist Rose Grigsby · Follow · WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor at Agenda for Children

Amen!!! Titus 2 Women, where are you???Titus 2:3-53 the older women likewise, that they be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things— 4 that they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, 5 to be DISCREET, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, THAT THE WORD OF GOD MAY NOT BE BLASPHEMED… WOW!
    Reply · Like · 6 hours ago
  • Lawrence Shaun Reed · Thornton Township High School

There is absolutely nothing wrong with what this sister has on. But you are of course entitled to your personal OPINION. But if one has NO scripture to back their statements then it is ONLY their opinion being stated. The church does have long standing traditions & people steeped in those traditions. Those traditions are what make some people speak out against those things deemed “inappropriate”. But as we all know, Jesus denounced traditions over the WORD. & those who seek to emulate him must strive to do the same.If the Word of GOD was spoken from the mouth of a nude vagrant, wold you point out the fact that he was nude or simply receive the message? If we are busy constantly working on our own short comings we’ll find that there is NEVER room or time to speak on someone else’s.
    Reply · 2 · Like · Edited · 5 hours ago

I work on them daily! Even with that, as a leader I was compelled to say something, and I did. I was certainly not expecting THIS…but it has certainly taught me where/how Christians think. We must be willing to take a stand on some things and HERE is where I stand on the issue. Prayerfully that will be respected too.
    Reply · 4 · Like · 3 hours ago
  • Ashley MypenNpad Gantt · Monroe Community College

We have got to find something else to talk about. My GOd!!!!
    Reply · Like · 2 hours ago
  • Marlon Mack · Follow · Works at MackSwagga Entertainment

First off, she wasn’t at church, At the end of the day, The story was made off your belief of how someone “should be”. It was an Attack……End of Story
    Reply · Like · 29 minutes ago
  • Kajuana Givens · Follow ·  Top Commenter
  • HE THAT IS WITHOUT SIN, CAST THE FIRST STONE! I am a seasoned Minister (Prophetess) myself, and one thing I dislike are self-righteous Christians….. carrying a Pharisee Spirit! I have no problem rebuking them…just as Jesus did! I believe what people need to remember is that she is also part of the Kingdom of God… and when US CHRISTIANS learn how to really be ‘brothers and sisters’, and love one another… Sanctuaries would be more full of people; there would be a great need to build more Churches. Ms. Stacy Woods…. I’m one that thinks your statement is petty and is attacking Erica, however, I respect your disposition, as we all are entitled to our own opinion. Let’s also consider that when ‘Kingdom’ people are in disagreement… there is NO unity, and God is not in it! The Word tells us to adorn ourselves modestly..

Clutchettes, do you think her dress isn’t appropriate  for a Christian singer?

Tags: ,
Like Us On Facebook Follow Us On Twitter
  • willbrodie

Christians are just hypocrites at the highest level.

Jesus never told anyone about how to dress..there is some opinion on modesty in the epistles but they were not Jesus words. You guys need to start calling yourselves Paulians or Petians. You put way more emphasis on the apostle writings than Jesus words. Last I knew, according to theological accounts anyway.. there was only woman rolling with Jesus and ‘nem and she had a questionable backround. All ministers teach that Jesus hung with “sinners” and outcasts..

Christians are the worst.. Yall always do stuff like this

• Corliss

We are a body of Christ through the Spirit and not through the flesh. Holiness is birthed through the Spirit. Modesty is defined differently in today’s day and age. Personally I see nothing wrong with Erica ‘ s attire. It’s the heart of a person that should be dressed in glory. People need to go back and define the meaning of holiness, because it will never mention the way you are dressed. I wonder how many people think evil thoughts everyday towards their brother or sister in Christ or those who look “Holy” at church but do evil at home. First clean the inside of the cup!!!

• cheeky

How the Ms. Campbell “selling sex” by wearing a form-fitting,very conservative dress? Give me a break! I’ve been listening to Mary Mary for 15 years, and rarely seen them wear anything near revealing. And this isn’t even ANYWHERE near revealing—we’re not talking about anything hanging out,now. I swear, some people,if you’re Christian (or any other religion,for that matter) want to stick you in a box and criticize you about every little thing you do—geesh! And the pastor should not even have been tripping about the dress in the first place.

• Pingback: Thou Shall Be Sexy - Can a Christian woman be sexy? - The Raw Suga()