140515175206-33-week-in-photos-0515-horizontal-gallery

It’s been nearly two months since over 200 girls were kidnapped from their school in the Chibok village of Nigeria. Last week Nigerian officials stated that 276 girls had been found but not rescued. Now the Nigerian police force has banned  protests related to the girls  in the Nigerian capital

From CNN:

Commissioner Joseph Mbu said the proliferation of such protests “is now posing a serious security threat” to those living around, and driving through, demonstration sites in the capital city of Abuja.

“I cannot fold my hands and watch this lawlessness,” he said in a statement Monday.

“Information reaching us is that too soon dangerous elements will join the groups under the guise of protest and detonate explosive(s) aimed at embarrassing the government. Accordingly protests on the Chibok Girls is hereby banned with immediate effect,” the commissioner continued.

It seems interesting that it’s the common people in Nigeria who are more eager to #BringBackOurGirls than some of the public officials.

Tags: , ,
Like Us On Facebook Follow Us On Twitter
  • Anthony

    This speaks volumes about the Nigerian government’s attitude towards its citizens, and it doesn’t say anything good.

  • GeekMommaRants

    Why can’t this government (Nigerian) government protect its own citizens. It seems that some governments will protect their citizens no matter what. Yet other governments are not interested in their people. I have learned that this area is a Muslim area yet the local and state government have no interest in their own people. This is appalling, I say this knowing that an American was kidnapped and freed in Afganistan, who may have deserted his Army unit. Yet the military and the (US) government got him released. Perhaps the difference was he was an American man and these are Nigerian girls. I do not know what is true. Just that this how situation is disgusting.