Photo Credit: BBC

Photo Credit: BBC

A cease-fire has reportedly been reached between the Nigerian government and the notorious Islamic militant group Boko Haram, according to a number of sources.

Details are still emerging, but BBC has reported, “Nigeria’s military says it has agreed a truce with Islamist militant group Boko Haram—and says the schoolgirls the group has abducted will be released.”

Voice of America reported:

Militant group Boko Haram and the Nigerian government have reached a cease-fire agreement that calls for the release of more than 200 girls kidnapped by the militants in April from the town of Chibok.

The two sides reached the agreement Friday, after talks in Saudi Arabia that involved President Idriss Deby of Chad and high-level officials from Cameroon.

Hassan Tukur, a close adviser to Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, said Boko Haram took the first step toward suspending hostilities.

Its leaders “have announced a unilateral cease-fire,” Tukur said. “The Nigerian government has responded accordingly and we are now monitoring to see if the cease-fire is holding and I hope it will hold.”

Tukur said the negotiations had not yet “yielded any positive results, but I am cautiously optimistic that this time around … we will be able to achieve some success.”

The Islamist group’s abduction of more than 200 Nigerian schoolgirls earlier in the year caused worldwide condemnation and a hashtag campaign, #BringOurGirlsBack that was supported by several celebrities. Members of the Bring Back Our Girls campaign said in a tweet : “We are monitoring the news with huge expectations.”

Get more of the story here.

Tags: , , , ,
Like Us On Facebook Follow Us On Twitter