Time flies, regardless of what the fun-o-meter reads, and here we are at the close of yet another year. For those of us fortunate enough to have made it through, let’s have a recap of some of 2009 major events in order of their appearance, shall we?
1. At the start of the year, we witnessed the inauguration of the first Black president of the United States of America, Barack Obama.
2. The following month, Chris Brown turned himself in to the authorities after a brutal altercation with fellow pop star, Rihanna.
3. H1N1, or Swine Flu, was first reported in Mexico, in March 2009, subsequently spreading to the United States where the epidemic has claimed at least 3900 lives.
4. On the eve of his final tour, the greatest entertainer that ever lived took his last breath on June 25. Michael Jackson, just shy of his 51st birthday, not only altered the world with his magnificent talent, but was a staunch advocate for the betterment of humankind.
5. Just last month, Oprah Winfrey announced that the end of her eponymous, groundbreaking talk show will soon come to an end. The sun will set on The Oprah Winfrey Show in 2011.
Clutchettes & Gents, please feel free to share additional worthwhile events of 2009.