From Black Voices — The term “frenemy” is an official word in the Merriam-Webster dictionary, which raises the question: Why do women insist on having fake friends? On the contrary, all of the catty behavior, gossipy chats, and the exhausting task of pretending to like someone you really loathe actually tends to make us appreciate the few real girlfriends we have even more.
In honor of Women’s History Month, we’ve reflected on what’s makes us just love our girlfriends – our real ones. Here are 10 reasons why we’ll ride or die for our Keisha, Kelly, Kimmy or Pam.
1. First, they’re loyal as hell. Let someone say something sideways about you, and that said someone is getting tossed. Your girls have your back every step of the way.
2. And yes, while they’ll always have your back, they will also encourage you to do better when you need to. They don’t stand for your mediocrity and push you to be your best self. If you’re headed toward that familiar exit 1B (ahem… ex-boo), they’ll gently – or not so gently – remind you why you got in the car in the first place.
3. Your friends make you laugh like no one else – the falling-on-the-floor, about-to-pee-on-yourself kind of laughter. Your inside jokes run deep and somehow that joke from 10th grade is still hilarious. They crack you up when you need it the most, like those days when your boss decides to body roll on your last nerve.
4. Your friends are spiritually grounded and ready to council you out of your deepest despair. They know the Word, and will encourage you to push beyond what’s comfortable in order to do what’s necessary. And if they’re not spiritual, they’re at least optimistic!
5. They have a huge sense of possibility and remind you to try for the unimaginable. They encourage your dreams and hustle. They remember your first car-washing business that sixth grade summer, and use that memory to fuel your current business venture. Their faith in your abilities is inspiring, and they’ll quickly remind you of the strength you forgot you had.