As the workweek comes to a close many of us are looking forward to hanging with our friends, or our latest crush. While those first few days and weeks of spending time with someone you’re feeling can be exciting, those dates and late-night chats boil down to one goal, getting to know each other.
Butterflies can only carry you so far. At the end of the day, how well you know each other will determine how long your relationship will last. So, while asking about your potential partner’s salary might be off limits on the first date, getting the 411 on just about everything else is fair game.
In the latest issue of Ebony, dating and relationship expert Yvonne Chase shared 20 questions that cut to the chase and help you figure out if the person you’re crushing on is really a good match for you.
Some of Chase’s 20 need-to-know questions include:
- What are you favorite things to do on a date?
- Do you want children?
- What are your spiritual beliefs?
- What are your professional goals?
- How did your last relationship start? How did it progress? How did it end?
- Do you practice safe sex?
- Have you had any same-sex relationships?
- Are you looking for companionship, commitment or sex?
- What’s a relationship deal breaker for you?
- Can you describe your ideal mate?
While you don’t have to make your first couple of dates a full-on interrogation, thoroughly getting to know someone before you get in too deep can save you a lot of heartache and set the foundation for a long-lasting relationship.
What are your favorite questions to ask when you start dating someone new?